Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Day 2: Sprinter

Despite my lagging cold, I am back at work today. I confiscated a box of tissues for my personal use and cringed a bit when I realized my hand sanitizer was creeping nearer and nearer towards the bottom of the bottle. As I secrelty swallow two Advil Cold and Sinus pills in the corner, I am thankful for the student that made me appreciate the sweeter side of today.

As we stood on the playground during recess, this particular young girl said, "You know, Ms. Diller, today should be called Sprinter. It's a perfect mix of Spring and Winter."

"You're right!" I pointed out. But it wasn't until after I took a moment to carefully consider her words that I began to appreciate them.

Above me was a pale blue sky, free of clouds. I could feel the sunshine beeting down on my scalp, instantly warming me from the inside out. Above, it was Spring.

From behind, I could feel the cold chill of the wind as it hit the part of my neck that was exposed to its gust. My nose, too, was certainly red from the bitter breeze. Around me, it was still Winter.

There are so many sweet take-aways from this moment in time. Take time to stop and smell the roses is one cliche that comes to mind. Also to be present in your life- be aware of what is around you and appreciate it for what it is. Perhaps most prevalent is to recognize the importance of those small voices around you, whether internally or externally (in my case, it was the voice of a 9-year old). We must not take for granted the beauty of what is around us, even on the most "cold" of days.

1 comment:

  1. Sprinter - what a lovely pefect word for those cold but sunny days. I love it!

    ReplyDelete