Thursday, March 7, 2013

Day 4: Character Traits

In tonight's grad class we spoke about the significance of having our students identify and discuss character traits as a part of Think & Search questions from Raphael's QAR strategy. So, when I walked in the front door and was greeted by a long awaited package, I quickly knew what I would be posting about tonight!

Now, those of you that know me from work, school, or other professional arenas may not immediately understand how this shirt possesses the three character traits that are used most often to describe me. However, those closest to me can easily explain to you why classy, sassy, smart assy are THE terms that define who I am. Let me try to break it down for you:

Classy: It began during my days as a ballerina in a pink tutu and tights and transitioned to my time as a teenager with more pearl jewelry than I wish to count. I was raised to sit like a lady at the dinner table, on the couch, and at the theater. Saying, "please," and "excuse me," were more than manners- they were a necessity- like breathing. My clothes always matched and I was never NOT put together. Most importantly, I was a friend to everyone- being a caddy girl was never part of my agenda. Sure, some may say I was (am) just a polite goodie-two-shoes, but I believe that all of these things have given me the right to warrant myself "classy".

Sassy: Behind the manners lurks a sass machine. My parents will tell you I have always had the sass in me, but I've only realized it in recent years. With age and wisdom has come sarcasm, an unlikely friend. Luckily I can control when I let that beast out of the cage (hence the "classy" label) but when I do, it is typically welcomed by those around me. I think people enjoy hearing my sassy remarks because they would never expect them to come out of my mouth. I'm not being a narcissist, I'm just saying...

(a bit) Smart Assy: I've ALWAYS had this trait. Nobody taught it to me and I don't think I can really control it. I think the best example comes from a trip to New Jersey with my family. I was in charge of the GPS (as the only one in the car who knew how work it, mind you) and my dad was driving. The GPS lost its signal during the exact moment we had to turn off an exit. Well, my dad was very unhappy with my copilot performance and told me that my ONLY job was to read the directions. Well, you better believe that I told him the directions, every 10 yards, for the rest of the trip ("Turning right in 200 years, 190 yards, 150 yards,..."). I mean, don't blame me for technologies imperfections!

I will wear my new shirt with pride (and some modesty around the bottom- the word "Assy" is not very classy!) for I love my quirky traits. They describe where I came from, who I am, and what people can expect from me. I hope this post doesn't make anyone begin to see me in a negative light, and if it does, well...I'm sure I have some sassy comments about that!

2 comments:

  1. I love that we both posted about character traits that describe us. I am seriously obsessed with this shirt... posted on your Instagram about where you got it and how I need it! I rarely have seen the Smart Assy sight to you, mostly because of how genuinely nice you are! Of course, we all have it in us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS SHIRT! I LOVE THIS SHIRT! Your character traits are just perfect - for you - and if you were only one of those traits - you would be BORING!

    ReplyDelete