Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Day 9: The Substitute Dance

You get the call in the morning.
A tap dance emerges as you pitter-patter through the house getting reading.
This is your happy dance.
Today, it is your day to teach.

On the way to school
It's the jitterbug.
Will they listen to me?
Can I do it?

During homeroom
It's the cha-cha.
Chirping "Good Morning (cha, cha, cha)"and
"Have a great day! (cha, cha, cha)"

In reading
It's the tango.
Legs stretched out to walk to the next desk
As your eyes linger over the reading of another.

Math. Math.
The charleston is a song and dance routine.
Are you listening? (hands are waving back and forth)
Isn't this so EASY? (low leg kick) You can do it! (high leg kick)

In Social Studies
We do a waltz.
Gliding from row to row to read from the textbook.
It's slow. So slow.

It's all a dance. And I perform, gladly.







5 comments:

  1. I love this - that low kick, high kick part is a stroke of genius. I'm obsessed with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the analogy to dancing...clever and fun and so true@

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess I absolutely love this, what a perfect analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First I read Megan's post about her kids ballroom dancing and yours was the perfect thing to read next. This was so creative...I'm impressed you came up with such a clever analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I can hear the music and feel the rhythm and beat of each dance throughout your day. Wonderful analogy!

    ReplyDelete