Friday, March 8, 2013

Day 5: Sounds of a Snow Day

Ching ching ching! screams my alarm,
I reach across and press snooze as my arm
Buries my bead even more under the pillow,
Outside I can hear the welcome flag billow.

A rumbling in the distance awakes me now,
And I think to myself, "How
could I have ever forgotten to peer
out my window for weather, severe?

Zzzzzzziipp go my blinds,
Cast before me is a stupendous surprise!
A thick, white coat covers the ground,
And I recognize that once faint sound. 

Zoom goes the snow plow down my street,
Now to find out if morning will hold another treat.
To the computer I quickly go, 
to find out if White Plains is affected by the snow.

Clap! go my hands as I press them together to pray
That my school will have more than White Plains's 2 hour delay.
Finally, at 5:36,
My phone lights up (please don't be a trick!)

Yipee! I exclaim, filled with glee,
The prerecording just said, "No school for me!"
Now, what to do with all of this vigor?
Post on my blog, bake a sweet cake, and maybe, something bigger. 


Zoom goes the snow plow down my street

3 comments:

  1. How perfect! I too was thinking of posting about this snow day but I couldn't think of how. I think your including the sounds in your poem was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was cute and fun to read! Your inclusion of sounds in the beginning of each stanza contributed to the exciting, happy-go-lucky feeling of a snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW PERFECT! I love the way you captured the many diverse feelings of those "snowy" morns.

    ReplyDelete